Justin Reads Leo Tolstoy

In which Justin reads Lev Tolstoy Part of the "Justin Reads" Webring. Go to www.justinkahn.com for more information on this webring as well as the occasional contest.

Friday, January 06, 2006

Volume 2 of Tolstoy's Short Stories

In December, I decided I would read the two volumes of Tolstoy's Short Fiction, and Anna Karenina.

Why would I engage in such Bibliophilia?

Because I was making preparations for the release of Anthony Brigg's new translation of War and Peace.

So, I wanted to read the major works to give me the artistic context of the great war and peace. Also, b/c I hate working.

Now, I am quarter way through Volume 2. Volume 1 has some good stories but Volume 2 is intense. Almost consecutively, I read 'The Death of Ivan Ilych'; 'How Much Land Does a Man Need?' & 'Kreutzer Sonata.'

So after that I had put the book down. But now I'm read to jump in and read a few stories. The intensity is good. Plus, I'd feel bad about shelling out $30.00 for the new Anthony Brigg's tranlsation when I hadn't really gotten my money's worth from thosee Tolstoy purchases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home